With $50 to $100 billion a year spent on bottled water consumption, it may surprise you to learn that bottled water does not live up to its purported advantages over tap water. The truth is, more often than not, bottled water is less beneficial to your oral health than filtered tap water out of your faucet. Dr. Minton and Dr. Kerr, your Plano family dentists, give these facts about tap water versus bottled water. Read on before spending your money on a plastic bottle.
Facts: Bottled Water and Tap Water
- Bottled water holds no advantage over filtered tap water when it comes to your oral health. On the contrary, municipal water supplies in the US have been fortified with fluoride for over 60 years. Bottled water, on the other hand, contains little to no fluoride.
- Although minimal (the common ratio of fluoride to water is 1:1,000,000), fluoride helps protect your teeth from cavities by replenishing the minerals your enamel loses on a daily basis.
- Even if you are lucky enough to find a 20 oz. bottle of water for a dollar, it still would not prove cost effective against a 20 oz. glass of tap water. At approximately one cent per gallon, tap water is much cheaper than a one dollar bottle of water, which equals to about five cents an ounce.
- Because bottled water is usually bottled close to its distribution center, it does not need to cross state lines and is exempt from FDA regulations. Municipal water is regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency, and is regularly inspected.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has associated the increase in bottled water consumption with the increase in tooth decay.
The next time you reach for a bottle of water at the convenience store, ask yourself what you’re losing by neglecting the more beneficial water source at home. If you would like to learn more about caring for your oral health, visit our Plano dentist office for a thorough examination and professional cleaning. To schedule an appointment, contact Parkway Vista Dental at (972) 818-1300. We serve patients from Richardson, Plano, Frisco, Addison, Carrollton, and the surrounding Dallas communities.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.